Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Mass Ornament & Dialectic of Enlightenment

Here are a couple of video responses to what I have read so far. It seems that The Mass Ornament and the Dialectic of Enlightenment are speaking about society as industry and everybody is a cog in a big machine. The "Army of One" is what comes to mind.






OPENING CEREMONY BEIJING 2008

The Opening Ceremonies in China is a great example of the Mass Ornament in that the individuals disappear. During the 2008 Olympics the Chinese made it very clear that welfare of the group out weighs the individual.







EAST meets WEST

Prison Inmates Soulja Boy & Can't Touch This






Everybody in Vest

American culture seems to value “individuality” or at least the façade of it. If and when the Olympic come to Chicago then opening ceremonies will probably have some one like Britney Spears performing or the N-Sync Reunion Tour Kick off.
We push “celebrities” to the front to represent the masses. And then the masses go out and buy things to look like “celebrities”.






Whopper & Big Mac fight it out for consumerism burger of choice.

I ran across this video and I feel like it should fit into the conversation. Maybe I should try to be unbiased but why are we trying to push our processed foods onto the few areas on the planet that have not been completely saturated with the western consumerism. This feels like modern day colonialism. Maybe this video is completely off topic.






I also found another blog that talks about the Beijing Olympics and how it relates to the Mass Ornament. I found it helpful.

http://archurbanist.blogspot.com/2008/08/opening-ceremony-of-29th-olympics-in.html

1 comment:

  1. While watching these examples of mass ornaments, I thought of the t-mobile commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZrrbgCdYc&feature=related

    That Whopper and Big mac video you posted was wild. We are supposed to believe that we should eat the Whopper because it was proven to be better statistically. And now I want a burger...

    But, you are right. It is sad to think about pushing our ways and bad habits onto other cultures. You visit other countries to experience something new, not a bunch of mcdonalds, walmarts, and starbucks (no offense)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.