Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Few Comments on Mauss

'Sexual division of techniques of the body'

I must first admit that I was taught to make a proper fist by my older brother. I was also taught to land a punch in a kickboxing class, I can throw a stone (or a softball) overhanded /vertical and a frisbee horizontally...therefore, I resent (just a bit) Mauss's statement that even "if a woman were taught to do these techniques, it would prove to be difficult." Yes I had to be taught, for whatever reason, my male counterparts were born with this innate ability to punch or spit or pee standing up. I have often pondered if this is a genetic differential or just the testostrone. Biology aside, with instruction and practice, we can learn new techniques - no matter the sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.