I've been a bit surprised at how a number of these writings bring religion into the discussion. In fact, it ends up confusing me because I find it difficult to relate. When Heidegger discusses the 'loss of the gods' I am trying to see the relevance, particularly to today. I don't understand the 'situation of indecision' which he describes as the nature of this loss. I can only imagine that he is suggesting man is reluctant to abandon spiritual explanations in exchange for scientific ideas as the foundation of his understanding and sense of the world; he is struggling to adapt and to accept scientific thought and processes into his life without diminishing the role or status of religion.
In general though, I am finding many of these texts to be awfully far-removed from what it seems we should be talking about. They feel very distant and not relevant, or not relevant enough. Things like Sontag, Kracauer, and Adorno have been more accessible and less obtuse, and I can find value in them in terms of my art practice and related writing. But things like the Kant and Ponty and, yes, Heidegger, are difficult to even begin digesting in the time allotted, and I am struggling to find pertinent meaning within them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete