I'm about half way thorough the Heidegger and was hoping some others further along or more knowledgeable could help me out! I am struggling with this "essence" that is being "revealed." When he speaks of the stored coal that possesses "the sun's warmth that is stored in it," (pg 18) I can reason that the essence of the coal comes from the sun. But what then what is the essence of the sun?
Further, I feel like what he is saying is that in technology we are "revealing" some kind of essence that already exists." We "unlock, store, transform" etc... (pg 16). Is the essence of the raw materials predetermined to be revealed in the way that they are? Do objects not need to exist before they can be transformed?
And in thinking of the human psyche, would Heidegger argue that we have predetermined essences? Are we revealing what has always been?
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.