Tuesday, February 10, 2009

If you can’t identify then this is THE BOOK FOR YOU!

If ever there was a child to grow up, to attend a punk rock show or not have been born in America, or not to have parents born here, (yes I know he is German) or been home schooled then here please let them read Dialectic of Enlightenment. Or everyone read it for that matter.
Growing up there were so many things that I just did not understand about American Culture. Sleepovers, to even think about asking my father to sleep over a friends house was completely out of the question, you just did not sleep at other people houses! McDonalds? What? Hollywood movies, did not see one till I was about 14. Think I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and that sucked. But then again I saw Fist Full of Dollars, when we got our first VHS player.
What I’m trying to get to here, being that by the time I started college I had no idea what anyone was talking about as far as most pop culture goes, in that it has been an invigorating experience. There have been times when I have felt left out, but not being saturated by the crap and cultural schema pooped out by American culture is okay with me.
In the past I have watched movies and laugh while my friends are perplexed about what I find so funny. “Listen do you hear the music they are playing…I wonder what will happen next? ha-ha”. To say the least it is annoying to screen any Hollywood movie with me, especially if your forking over, how much is it now $12. That is why I watch movies in the comfort of my own home, with my roommate who too when through an Adorno phase. Together we laugh as John Travolta tries to pretend he is a badass or something silly like that. Have you ever seen Broken Arrow? haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.