I could fill up a blog with incidents of the reproduction, reenactment and post-production related to popular videos on the Internet. In the case of David After the Dentist, the original video is of a boy who is clearly still high on N2O, talking to an adult in the front seat of a car. Something in the humor of the dialogue sparked, very quickly, multiple re-enactments and post-produced YouTube videos, in some cases combining the dentist video with other Internet popular videos (e.g. Chad Vader).
I am posting these in relation to an argument I recently had about whether ""The Work of Art in the Age of its Technological Reproducibility" is a vital work for Introduction to Time-Based Art. From my perspective, it is not as it has been surpassed by other, more contemporary works. This is not to say that it is not of vital historical importance. I would suggest, however, that both Guy Debord's "Comments on the Society of the Spectacle" and Nicholas Bourriaud's "Post-Production" would be more useful and more relevant to understanding and using reproduction in contemporary art practice.
And many many more...
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.