Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Barthesian video...

When I started reading Camera Lucida I thought about posting this video, because I thought it really contained the same punctum Barthes was describing, at least to me, but in video, which I found interesting. But then I thought "... oh, maybe it is just the same kind of old photo/video style that makes me think it has the same punctum he is talking about"... Then I realized, that even it is true Barthes didn't live enough to see contemporary photography, most of the photographs he shows in the book (or he talks about) area really older that the years he lived... I mean, most of them are from the 19th century of from the 20s, which called my attention afterwards. Is this because what he is describing as punctum was really difficult for him to find in a way that it was so compelling in more recent photographs? Because of his personal taste? (which he used as starting point, instead of trying to create a super general photo theory)...

Anyway, here is the video (sorry I couldn't upload it). It is from Barcelona at the beginning of the 20th century...
http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY/245/see-the-film-barcelona_by_tram

Last, the other aspect that kind of didn't convince me while reading the book (I say the other aspect, because I really loved the overall book), was his predilection about photos that contained the punctum because the photographer "was there at the right time". I mean, I felt he kind of gave lower value to "prepared photographs", which could be related with his living time... but I think "this" kind of photographs, which are abundant in contemporary photography was already there at his time...Although I think I understand why, taking his description of the punctum....

Julio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.