Ideally, it is possible to elude the interpreters in another way, by making works of art whose surface is so unified and clean, whose momentum is so rapid, whose address is so direct that the work can be...just what it is
I know that we have focused on theory/philosophy/criticism's relation to fine art. But when i think of erotics, essences, the ineffable, and things being "what it is" I can't help thinking about records and pop music.
I went to the record store a few weeks ago and found a bunch of records that did not belong in the 50 cent bin. I made out like a bandit and the first chance I got I played them for some friends. Each song was prefaced by information, did you know this track was sampled by so and so, there's a rarer version with a misprinted label, no, yes blah blah blah. Or pointing out unusual or special parts: that beginning is hot, hear that bass boom boom de boom. Then I put on a song that definitely belonged in that bin, a ubiquitous classic. However when played all commentary stopped, there was no all-knowing-secret-info preface (interpretation) and no need to point out sections (formal). But I really love this song and if you asked me why? Her sweet but kind of husky voice? the lalalalalala? the repetitive phone number, namby-pamby, (not so) mystical, mumbo jumbo. no questions remain because it feels right and you just have to hear it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.