I thought I would continue the discussion of
fraudulence, as it was one of the issues that stuck in my mind following the readings. I always consider the realms of music, poetry and art as an ongoing conversation. Fraudulence, perhaps, is referring to those voices that are raised that are repeating something that has already been said, or just making noise (unsuccessful noise?!) The Snoop Dogg making a country album is also an interesting example to this discussion. Snoop Dog, whether you like his music or not, can be appreciated for his contributions to rap music as well as his innovation in that field. Mr. Dogg making a foray into country music seems like a valuable extension (for both genres?) of an already successful practice. This mixing and matching of genres and artistic output seems especially valid in the current cultural sphere.
Could a work of art be successful and, at the same, time fraudulent? I think the contemporary landscape is filled with examples—Backstreet Boys, Avril Lavigne, (I think these might be easy examples, I think my list can go on and on but I am sure my bias would filter in).
Just a few thoughts.
if mr. dogg did decide to make a country record, it might sound something like this:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srHezYdGUaI